Monday, October 13, 2008

Bungee in Phuket

"Live from Phuket"

here i am.. sitting in my hotel's internet room in Phuket, hiding from the rain.

well.. it's not all bad actually. Finally have some time for myself.. read up on local news on channelnewsasia.com, sipping coffee.

that's more like a holiday.

Phuket wasn't exactly too fantastic for me.. maybe if it was a shorter trip it'll be much better. But Jeremy's all over to experience the Island through and through. Well well.. i'll try my best accommodating his itinerary then.

I'm all burnt up now.. but i know why!! ha. cos a certain friend once told me that i could never get a proper tan because of the brown pigments in my skin is lacking. How true.. the cycle always goes red--> burnt--> pain--> peel--> white. i'm in the pain and peel state now. haha.

well well.. just a short review on what i did over here.. parasailing.. jet skiing .. set fireworks!(i was impressed! imagine that! ha) and the most memorable one is BUNGEE JUMPING!! ha.

Yep yep.. was driving to this jungle bungee place operated by an ang mo. Unshaven.. long curly hair. Friendly though. Reached just in time to see a couple jump together.

Oh boy.. never would i have imagined that it was that high. Read on the brochure that it was 50m high.. well.. 50m "sound" pretty low to me. Seeing it was a different thing all together!

Heights to me is like chili. I feel the full torment of the "hotness" as of someone who don't enjoy it. but the difference is that i kindda like that feeling. ha. So chili is both a wonderful and terrible thing for me. sounds weird eh. ha.

so i'm not afraid to say that heights has always been a problem for me.. but yet.. there's a sense of excitement and ecstasy when you're in the presence of heights. So there i was.. signed up for the big jump. kept telling it was nothing.. just go up and jump. How hard could that be.

So i was all tied up onto the bungee rope.. sitting on the rising platform on the flimsy crane. (They assured me that they haven't had an accident since their opening in 1991. they better not have their first today. Then again.. looking at the nature of the activity.. jumping from great heights into water.. wat else could have happened?)

when i finally reached the top of the crane, i was suprised how calm i was. heart not beating too fast.. no sweaty palms. The jump master wasn't too friendly though. all he said was " i count 1,2,3 then you jump. Understand?" i nodded. That was simple. 1,2,3 and i jump. how hard can it be.

With my legs all tied up.. i hop to the edge of the platform. What a wonderful sight! the mountains.. the lake below.. the birds in the sky! If only i was up here for coffee instead of having to jump. I try to numb myself from the fear.. kept telling myself that it was nothing again and again. it worked. i wasn't really afraid even at the verge of the platform. then i heard the inevitable.

"1, 2, 3!!!" Like a well trained soldier, i jumped.

suddenly i couldn't touch the ground.. the falling sensation shot right to my spine.. all the fear that i thought i didn't have rushed in all at once. for 2 whole second i thought i was gonna die for sure! the feeling was was terrible.. but like chili. ha. wonderful as well. Scared the shit out of me! ha.(not literally though)

the next thing i know i could almost touch the water surface! then up i go again! bouncing on a rubber band. Every rebound was as exciting. short lived.. but worth it.

Was in a fix whether i wanted to jump for the second time. ha. Part of me know that having gone through the first.. i know exactly what to expect and i still don't know how anyone could have prepared for it any better ever for the second time. but another part of me is dying to try again! ha. especially when they charge half price for the second jump!

well well.. it was still pretty ex though. will try again somewhere else when i'm feeling rich then.

Bungee definitely not for the weak hearted. But definitely an experience i'll never forget.

Dinner time. Check back when i can. Ciaoz.